Monday, September 13, 2004

On football, Garden State and the Shins

There are actually a couple of things I want to talk about today. I'm sure everyone was upset that I posted nothing over the weekend. The reason was that I was out of town watching a great college football match up. I was at the Marshall vs. Ohio State game on Saturday. My team (Marshall) came out on the short end of the stick, but wow, what a game it was. My advice to everyone who plays Ohio State this year: If you're leading by 3 or less don't let Mike Nugent (OSU's kicker) on your side of the 50. He kicked a 55 yarder for the win, and that thing had the distance to be good from 65. I was disappointed, but MU played a heckuva game and the OSU fans were genial. Overall, it was a good experience.

The other thing I wanted to talk about was the movie Garden State, which I saw with my wife on Friday. Coming into it I was hoping to add it to my list of favorite movies because it struck me as the kind of movie I would like (not to mention 'the Natalie Portman factor,' which automatically adds one star to the review...). I was a little disappointed. It's not that I disliked the movie, it's just that I had such high hopes. I can't put my finger on what was wrong with it; it just lacked something. A friend of mine complained that most of the characters were quirky for the sake of being quirky, but that didn't really bother me. I guess it just never got over the hump. I guess one of the better things about the movie is that it has piqued my interest in The Shins. I've only heard a few songs so far, but I like what I've heard. I'll keep everyone posted.

2 comments:

Olen said...

Our Team (Marshall) just couldn't quite find that one play to garner the win. All in all, a good performance and a marked improvement over the previous weekend (v. Troy).

I was oblivous that Natalie Hershlag had a movie out - considering the last movie I saw in a theatre was Spider-Man (not Spidey-II), that may not be surprising. Hershlag is definitely a one-star bump in any movie she is in. Hopefully, her reprisal in the final Star Wars epic (or perhaps not final) will be worthwhile and uphold the fine tradition of the series.

BTW - nice blog - try a different pic though. :)

Shannon said...

I agree completely about Garden State. I went in expecting the same thing, and came out disappointed. I don't know if you had the same reaction as me, but I felt really into it at the beginning - like I was really going to like it - and then at some point, I didn't like it as much anymore. I can't say when exactly, but I just know I left the theater feeling a little let down.