Monday, September 13, 2004

On football, Garden State and the Shins

There are actually a couple of things I want to talk about today. I'm sure everyone was upset that I posted nothing over the weekend. The reason was that I was out of town watching a great college football match up. I was at the Marshall vs. Ohio State game on Saturday. My team (Marshall) came out on the short end of the stick, but wow, what a game it was. My advice to everyone who plays Ohio State this year: If you're leading by 3 or less don't let Mike Nugent (OSU's kicker) on your side of the 50. He kicked a 55 yarder for the win, and that thing had the distance to be good from 65. I was disappointed, but MU played a heckuva game and the OSU fans were genial. Overall, it was a good experience.

The other thing I wanted to talk about was the movie Garden State, which I saw with my wife on Friday. Coming into it I was hoping to add it to my list of favorite movies because it struck me as the kind of movie I would like (not to mention 'the Natalie Portman factor,' which automatically adds one star to the review...). I was a little disappointed. It's not that I disliked the movie, it's just that I had such high hopes. I can't put my finger on what was wrong with it; it just lacked something. A friend of mine complained that most of the characters were quirky for the sake of being quirky, but that didn't really bother me. I guess it just never got over the hump. I guess one of the better things about the movie is that it has piqued my interest in The Shins. I've only heard a few songs so far, but I like what I've heard. I'll keep everyone posted.

1 comment:

Shannon said...

I agree completely about Garden State. I went in expecting the same thing, and came out disappointed. I don't know if you had the same reaction as me, but I felt really into it at the beginning - like I was really going to like it - and then at some point, I didn't like it as much anymore. I can't say when exactly, but I just know I left the theater feeling a little let down.