Monday, June 05, 2006

God's Word: The Pillar of Certainty

I spoke with a friend over lunch of doubt and uncertainty. He had read my entry titled ‘God is in the Move’, which is about our troubles with money and the uncertainty they caused. His words were very encouraging to me and I appreciated them very much, but I think he’ll understand if I say that no word from his mouth can provide comfort and assurance like the Word of God.

Yesterday, just before our pre-service prayer at church, my brother Aaron shared a powerful verse that provides just such comfort.

Psalm 119:89
Forever, O LORD, your wordis firmly fixed in the heavens.



First Romans 8:28, now Psalm 119:89. God planted such amazing peace in my heart through that verse I immediately stood up from the table so I could grab paper and pen to write down the reference. I knew I had to take the time to meditate on it later.

There is a beautiful harmony between Romans 8:28 and Psalm 119:89. Romans 8:28 says those who love God are in His plan and their lives will work out for the good. We know that this good may not be our cultural ideas of good (comfort, ease, health and wealth), but instead the highest good, which is to glorify God. Whatever circumstance we face we can take comfort that God’s hand is in it.

But how do I know that this promise will stand? How can I be sure that God will abide by Romans 8:28? This is where Psalm 119:89 swoops in and provides a mighty pillar of support. “Forever, O LORD, your word is firmly fixed in the heavens.”

God’s word is firmly fixed. It will not, cannot be moved. It is established. It is not tentative, and God does not hold it loosely. This means that not only Romans 8:28, but God’s sovereign plan for each of us as individuals is set. There is nothing that you, I, or Satan can do to destroy that plan, and if you love God and are called according to his purpose all the events of your life will work together for good.

How long is God’s word firmly fixed? The first word of verse 89 is ‘forever’. There is no time limit to the validity of God’s word. It is not as though Romans 8:28 was a limited time offer. God’s promise is out there for us to rely on today and it will be there tomorrow.

Finally, God’s word is firmly fixed in the heavens. Even the place of the fixing adds comfort to the verse. As John Calvin stated in his commentary on Psalm 119:89, “As we see nothing constant or of long continuance upon earth, he elevates our minds to heaven, that they may fix their anchor there.” Grass and flower fade away (1 Peter 1:24), the earth will crumble and decay. But God’s word, fixed in the heavens, is not affected by such things (1 Peter 1:25).

Every day that passes gives more reason to trust in the word of God. His promises will not fail, and no change in our circumstances should alter our trust.

No comments: