Friday, May 12, 2006

Book Update: Harry Potter and the Puritans?

Last week I mentioned that I had read the second and third installments of the Harry Potter series. I now inform you that I have read the fourth and fifth books, Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire and Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix, respectively. I am chuckling at myself because that's over 1500 pages in a week, and quite possibly over 1600. I usually don't read that much in a week, but as J.K. Rowling's fans can tell you, the books are page turners.

I do not yet have a copy of Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince, so I cannot go on reading that. What I do have is even better.

**********UPDATE: I HAVE NOW READ HARRY POTTER AND THE HALF-BLOOD PRINCE************

I received three monetary gifts due to my recent graduation from Bible College. Out of this money I allowed myself $50 for books. A quick (internet) trip to the Westminster Seminary Bookstore yielded fantastic results. For $49.99 (including shipping) I purchased these books:

The Bruised Reed by Richard Sibbes

The Christ of the Covenants by O. Palmer Robertson

Precious Remedies Against Satan's Devices by Thomas Brooks

The Rare Jewel of Christian Contentment by Jeremiah Burroughs

The Mystery of Providence by John Flavel

The Mortification of Sin by John Owen

The Shorter Catechism Explained from Scripture with comments by Thomas Vincent

Yep. Seven books for $49.99. Needless to say, I am quite happy. I've started in on The Mortification of Sin and Precious Remedies already, and I've given a quick glance to The Christ of the Covenants. I've only gotten as far as the table of contents for Precious Remedies. If you've ever read it you'll know what I'm talking about. Brooks' ToC is detailed enough to be worth the purchase price on its own. So I'll have plenty to read between now and the time I start seminary.

I hope to emerge from each of these books a better Christian. Please pray for me in that regard.

No comments: